For some people buying and selling a house is one of the few times you will need to use a law firm and it is something we do for clients hundreds of times a month. We are really, really good at it.
Here's an example of our usual fee for buying a £200,000 freehold property (not a new build and assuming that you have the funds in place to pay for it): £850 +vat.
When buying a house there are some other costs to take into consideration and these can include payments to third parties that we make on your behalf (we call them disbursements) and other fees.
- UK national identification search: £6.00 per person
- Foreign national identification search: £36.00 per person
- Telegraphic transfer fee: £36.00
- Lawyer check: £12.00
- Search fees: £375.00
- Land Registry Searches: £3.00
- Bankruptcy searches (per person): £2.00
- Land registration fee: £95.00
- Stamp duty: Click here for the SDLT fee calculator
What do your fees include?
- Taking your instructions and giving you initial advice
- Liaising with your estate agent
- Checking finances are in place to fund purchase and contacting lender's solicitors if needed
- Receiving and advising on contract documents
- Carrying out searches
- Obtaining planning and building regulation documentation if required
- Making any necessary enquiries of seller's solicitor
- Giving you advice on all documents and information received
- Advising you on conditions of mortgage offer
- Sending final contract to you for signature
- Agreeing completion date (date from which you own the property)
- Exchanging contracts and notifying you that this has happened
- Arranging for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Completing purchase
- Dealing with payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax
- Dealing with application for registration at Land Registry
- Dealing with storage of any documents
Who would handle my property transaction?
We only have exceptional people handling property transactions here. This could be the biggest purchase (or sale) in your life so we make sure that only the best will do. Our property team are some of the best in the business who collectively have hundreds of years' worth of experience. We endeavour to have just one point of contact for you and each transaction is done under the watchful eye of our Head of Property - Nick Warde.
This is of course just an example and if you want to know what our fees would be for your specific needs you can give us a call, use the form on the right or use our clever online calculator which is quick and easy to use.