Claims against Solicitors

Claims against Solicitors

How to make a claim against a solicitor

When embarking on a claim against a solicitor our team are there to help and support you through the process.

We specialise in claims against other solicitors and claims that we have successfully pursued against solicitors include those in the following areas:-

  • Inadequate advice on commercial transactions
  • Negligent Will drafting or administration of estate issues
  • Residential property and commecial property issues
  • Employment matters
  • Matrimonial matters
  • Claims in relation to clinical negligence issues
  • Causing claims to be struck out
  • Failure to meet time limits

How can we help?

  • First, we can provide an initial appraisal of your case against a solicitor – our experts can analyse your case and advise on the necessary steps and lead you through your claim (a 'plan of action’). This will include advice on how to pursue a claim for compensation or even if you are being pursued for fees by your solicitor, how to defend such a claim.
  • We will discuss all funding options
  • We will advise on obtaining all the documents necessary to deal with your case including your former solicitor’s file of papers.
  • We will advise on time limits.
  • We will consider if you need evidence from experts, for instance on the value of property or shares.
  • We will start your claim which will include following the Professional Negligence Pre–action Protocol. See our page on Working Together.
  • The Protocol now encourages parties to try and resolve any disputes without resorting to the court.
  • But if the Protocol does not produce a settlement, then we will advise in relation to court proceedings and set out a plan of action to a trial of your claim. 

The above process deals with claims for compensation. But sometimes your complaint may be that your solicitor has provided an inadequate service and you have suffered no loss. If this is the case then you will need to refer your claim to the Legal Ombudsman and we can help you on this process as the Ombudsman has the power to award compensation for inadequate service.

Brighton office

Tel 01273 775533

Eastbourne office

Tel 01323 730543

East Grinstead office

Tel 01342 310600

Forest Row office

Tel 01342 822112

Lewes office

Tel 01273 477071

Seaford office

Tel 01323 891412

Pulborough office

Tel 01798 875358

Storrington office

Tel 01903 743201

Gatwick office

Tel 0800 84 94 101

Primary Contact

Karim  Mohamed
Karim Mohamed


T | 01273 223223
E | email